Wednesday, February 19, 2014

...Rejected by the Interweb, literally...

While this may be a strange and random post to many of you, I felt compelled to post it for two reasons. First, it's been making me laugh all day, getting me through my last official work day before I nestle in to write over the next three days. Second, if you're quirky and a little, tiny bit twisted like me, you might be able to relate or at least have a laugh. So why not share?

Here we go...

I was very pleasantly surprised when opening my inbox this morning only to be greeted with this courteous, human-like failure-to-deliver notification from the yahoo account I was trying to connect with.


Perhaps many of you have noticed this before, but this was a first for me...

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

At first, I felt a bit slighted. "Sorry it didn't work out"? It was as if the internet was breaking up with me and I was in a relationship I didn't even know about.

Then I smiled at how polite "he" was, how human and genuine. "I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message..." I immediately thought of Sonny from I, Robot and how freaking endearing he was AND HE'S A ROBOT. I'm such a damn sucker.

I chuckled to myself again, but amusement immediately dissolved, and I was left with a chill shimmying up my spine. Maybe I've seen one too many science fiction flicks?

*Cue the creepy, ominous little girl with an English accent*


No comments:

Post a Comment