Sunday, October 20, 2013

...Considering all things inspirational...

So, as I sit here, plotting or scheming my way into the next make-believe chapter of my writing project, I wonder what it takes to change things up a bit. Sometimes I get stuck in my own head and wonder how I can get out of a morose scene and transition into something more uplifting or vice verse.

What inspires me?


I've decided on two very specific things that always help me get out of a rut. Time away from the computer screen and living life. It's all very simple and I know most authors will say the same. It's still a work in progress, trying to convince myself I need to take a step back and go out and do something else for awhile. BUT...it's super important for me.

For instance...

I go to a restaurant and I see a couple having an intense conversation. My nosy self wants to know what they're talking about. Is it good? Bad? Did someone cheat or lie? Did someone forget to pick up the milk coming home from work? That's when my overactive imagination comes into play. Based on her hand gestures and the pleading look in his eyes, I determine they aren't even married at all, but having and affair and something's gone terribly wrong.


Or perhaps...

You go to a pub and observe a group of people celebrating someone birthday. You think...wouldn't portraying a similar scenario be a great way to show camaraderie among my characters after they've experienced so much loss? Wouldn't giving them something to smile and laugh about be just what they need to feel human again and to have hope?

Animals...


What if you see the color of someone's eyes and you think... "That's perfect for my character!" Or a hair color on a woman you never would've thought about and wallah! There's the antagonist.

Even watching movies and reading is sometimes the inspiration I need to keep writing. Just a change in scenery, watching others as they live their lives, allowing me to live vicariously through them.

Nature...


In all honesty, I've discovered I am not one of those people who has an endless plethora of ideas in my head, just waiting to be plucked out and expanded upon. No, I need inspiration... something to get my creative juices flowing. And I thank people's everyday lives for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment